Janellis have conducted research with executive leaders and boards on building resilience within critical infrastructure, to share the most current thinking in this area.
In parallel we have conducted research on ‘the value of change management in executing strategy’ and in some cases, there has been a convergence of issues as:
- A resilient organisation has been described as one that has an adaptive capacity to deal with change and;
- Organisations looking to improve the change management aspects of executing strategy are seeking to build greater resilience, particularly in their people.
There are some common themes in the risks that organisations are facing in relation to cyber threats; meeting the expectations of the regulators and changes in government policy.
Industry specific risks such as cladding for the property sector, Banking Executive Accountability Regime (BEAR) and Australian Prudential Regulation Authority (APRA) requirements to ‘measure risk culture’ are contentious issues for some.
Change management and the ability to execute on strategy are risks being closely tracked by the board and executive.
Building capability to deal with change
All organisation’s interviewed within the resilience research have conducted scenario-based activities for their executives and other teams within their business. There is a growing level investment in this area and acknowledged value that it provides in:
- Creating a shared view of the risks and opportunities
- Uncovering blind spots and challenging assumptions
- Developing an enhanced capacity to perceive change
- Developing contingency plans for emerging threats
- Being prepared for known risks as well as unknown risks
- Building a more agile and adaptive capacity
- Enhancing the capacity to interpret and respond to change
The intent for most organisations is to do these activities more frequently; more broadly across the organisation and for a broader range of risks which includes strategic; operational; financial; market’ reputation; people and project.
For the organisation’s where this has been embedded across many layers within their business, this capability is closely aligned to how well they are currently executing on their strategy.
The research is in its final stages and if you would like to be included to participant or to receive the more detailed report please email me at Natalie.botha@Janellis.com.au